2022 Chevrolet Equinox LaGrange
The 2022 Chevrolet Equinox is the brand’s offering of a compact but spacious SUV with a bold look, athletic stance, and sharp design.
The 2022 model year offers a refreshed, more appealing styling with updates made to the available engines and trims.
The existing generation of Equinox was first introduced during the 2018 model year. This means the refreshed 2022 model is the beginning of the second half of its life. It’s been announced that Equinox will be receiving a complete redesign in the coming years.
What Is New for 2022?
The new 2022 Chevrolet Equinox offers a few appealing updates for the model year. This includes:
- The standard 1.5T power plant offered by the vehicle has been joined by a 2.0-liter turbo-four engine
- The front and rear of the vehicle have been restyled
- A sportier RS trim joins the lineup
Fuel Economy and Performance
- While the new 2022 Chevy Equinox dropped the optional 2.0-liter turbo-four engine with the 2021 model, it has returned for 2022.
- The base models are still using the 1.5-liter turbo I-4 that provides 170 horsepower and 203 lb-ft of torque for the 2021 model.
- It’s been reported that the 1.5T engine was capable of reaching 60 miles per hour in just 8.7 seconds.
- The smaller turbo-four engine is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission, and the fuel economy for this engine option is 25 to 26 miles per gallon in the city and 30 to 31 miles per gallon on the highway.
- The 1.5T engine comes with either AWD or FWD, and the 2.0T offers the same.
- Choosing the larger four-cylinder engine will provide you with 227 horsepower and 258 lb-ft.
- The acceleration time for this setup drops to the mid-6.0-second range.
- Rather than the six-speed automatic transmission, the stronger turbo-four is aided by a nine-speed automatic, which takes care of all the shifting duties.
- The last time this was offered, the 2.0-liter Chevy Equinox offered 22/28-29 miles per gallon based on what drive type was chosen.
Getting to Know the New 2022 Chevrolet Equinox RS
- The new 2022 Chevy Equinox RS is offered for the very first time this model year.
- Just as is the case with most of the RS-badged Chevy’s, the 2022 Equinox RS features a few aesthetic touches, but there aren’t any performance benefits.
- For this model year, the Equinox gets a gloss black grille, black exterior badging, black upholstery, and a unique RS shift knob.
2022 CHEVROLET EQUINOX SPECIFICATIONS
FUEL TANK CAPACITY (gallons / liters – approx.)
- 1.5L turbo DOHC DI with automatic stop/start
- Bore & Stroke (in / mm): 2.9 x 3.4 / 74 x 86.6
- Block Material: Cast aluminum
- Cylinder Head Material: Cast aluminum
- Valvetrain: Dual overhead camshafts; four valves per cylinder
- Fuel Delivery: Direct injection
- Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm): 170 / 127 @ 5600 (SAE-certified)
- Torque (lb.-ft./ Nm @ rpm): 203 / 275 @ 2000-4000 (SAE-certified)
TRANSMISSION & AXLE
- Type: Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic
- Gear Ratios (:1): 6T40
- First: 4.58
- second: 2.96
- Third: 1.91
- Fourth: 1.44
- Fifth: 1.00
- Sixth: 0.74
- Reverse: 2.94
- Final Drive Ratio: 3.50 (FWD) 3.87 (AWD)
CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
|Front Suspension:||MacPherson strut with specifically tuned coil springs, direct-acting stabilizer bar|
|Rear Suspension:||Four-link independent rear suspension|
|Steering Type:||Electric power-assisted rack-and-pinion|
|Turning Circle (ft. / m):||37.4 / 11.4 (17-in. wheels)||38.4 / 11.7 (18-in. wheels)||41.6 / 12.7 (19-in. wheels)|
|Brake Type:||Four-wheel disc with ABS and ESC; Duralife rotors with low-drag calipers|
|Brake Rotor Size (in / mm):||Front: 11.8 / 300||Rear: 11.3 / 288|
|Wheel Size:||17-in. aluminum (std. LS and LT)||18-in. aluminum (std. Premier, avail. LT)||19-in. aluminum (std. RS, avail. LT and Premier)|
|Wheelbase (in./mm):||107.3 / 2725|
|Overall Length (in. / mm):||183.1 / 4652|
|Overall Width (in. / mm):||72.6 / 1843|
|Overall Height (in. / mm):||65.4 / 1661|
|Track (in. mm):||Front: 62.2 / 1580||Rear: 62.2 / 1581|
|Ground clearance (in. / mm):||7.6 / 193 (FWD w/ 17-in. wheels)||7.9 / 202 (AWD w /17-in. wheels)||8.0 / 204 (AWD w/ 18-in. wheels) TBD (FWD w/ 19-in. wheels)||TBD (FWD w/ 19-in. wheels)|
INTERIOR DIMENSIONS & PASSENGER VOLUME
|Headroom (in. / mm):||40.0 / 1016 (front w/o sunroof)||38.2 / 970 (front w/ sunroof)||38.5 / 977 (rear w/o sunroof)||36.9 / 936 (rear w/ sunroof)|
|Legroom (in. / mm):||40.9 / 1040 (front)||39.9 / 1013 (rear)|
|Shoulder room (in./mm):||57.2 / 1453 (front)||55.5 / 1410 (rear)|
|Hip Room (in. / mm):||54.2 / 1377 (front)||51.7 / 1313 (rear)|
CURB WEIGHT, CARGO VOLUME & TRAILERING
|Curb Weight (lb. / kg):||LS FWD
||LT & RS
||LT & RS AWD
|EPA Passenger Volume (cu. ft. / L):||103.5 / 2931||39.9 / 1013 (rear)|
|Max Cargo Volume (cu. ft. / L)1:||63.9 / 1809 (rear seat folded)||29.9 / 846 (behind rear seat)|
|Trailering Capacity (lb. / kg)2:|
SAFETY & DRIVER ASSISTANCE FEATURES
- Airbags1: frontal and seat-mounted side-impact for driver and right front passenger with Passenger Sensing System; roof-rail mounted head-curtain for front and rear outboard seating positions
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System; tire pressure monitor includes tire fill alert (excludes spare tire, if equipped)
- Standard Rear Vision Camera2 (HD view on Premier)
- Standard Chevy Safety Assist2. Content includes Automatic Emergency Braking, Following Distance Indicator, Forward Collision Alert, Front Pedestrian Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning and IntelliBeam, automatic high beams
- Driver Confidence II Package2 is standard on RS and Premier and available on LS and LT. Content includes Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
- Advanced Safety Package2 is available on LT and RS. Content includes HD Surround Vision, Adaptive Cruise Control and outside heated power-adjustable manual-folding mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators
- Driver Confidence III Package2 is available on Premier. Content includes Automatic Parking Assist, HD Surround Vision and Adaptive Cruise Control
- Safety Alert Seat is standard on Premier
- 19-inch Dark Android-painted aluminum wheels
- LED headlamps
- Black bowtie emblem and badging
- Gloss Black mesh grille and Black Ice surround
- Unique lower fascia with body-color inserts
- Gloss Black side rails
- Gloss Black window surround
- Jet Black cloth seating (leather-appointed optional)
- Red interior stitching
- Black Ice chrome accents
- Black headliner
2022 Chevrolet Equinox Trim Levels Explained
- 2022 Chevrolet Equinox LT
- 2022 Chevrolet Equinox LS
- 2022 Chevrolet Equinox RS
- 2022 Chevrolet Equinox Premier
2022 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Price: $26,900The LT trim level of the 2022 Chevrolet Equinox features the following:
- LED daytime running lamps
- Power driver’s seat with lumbar support
- Chevy safety assist
- Multi-color driver information display
2022 Chevrolet Equinox LS
Price: $26,995The LS trim level of the 2022 Chevrolet Equinox features the following:
- Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Chevy safety assist
- LED headlamps
- Teen driver technology
2022 Chevrolet Equinox RS
Price: $30,100The RS trim level of the 2022 Chevrolet Equinox features the following:
- Rear power liftgate
- Front and rear park assist
- LED tail lamps
- Chevrolet Safety Assist
2022 Chevrolet Equinox Premier
Price: $31,000The Premium trim level of the 2022 Chevrolet Equinox features the following:
- 18-inch machined-face aluminum wheels
- Chevrolet infotainment 3 plus system with 8-inch diagonal color touch screen
- Chevrolet Safety Assist
- Hands-free power liftgate
Does the Chevy Equinox have a lot of problems?
Every year, there are hundreds of complaints issued to the NHTSA about the Chevrolet Equinox. While the complaints are still coming in, none have resulted in a recall. Some of the most common complaints related to this vehicle relate to the engine and the smell of gas and smoke. Other complaints involve excess oil consumption and fuel pump failure.
Will there be a 2022 Chevy Equinox?
Yes, there will be a 2022 Chevy Equinox. The pricing for the vehicle, which includes several visual updates, is $26,995, which is $2,000 more than the prior-year base model cost. There is also no longer a base L version. The 2022 model year of Equinox went on sale during the third quarter of 2021.
Is the Equinox being discontinued?
There are no plans to discontinue the Chevy Equinox right now, and the second-generation vehicle is expected to reach the market on or after the 2023 model year.
What are the changes to the 2022 Equinox?
The 2022 Equinox has been refreshed with new styling, including all-new front and rear fasciae. There’s also a new grille design and new LED headlamps with LED daytime driving lights. If you choose the RS model, you have upgraded black exterior trim and 19-inch Dark Android wheels. It also features a black interior and red stitching with a unique shifting knob. All LS and LT models received new interior trims, and new safety features and colors are now available.
What to Expect When Driving the 2022 Chevrolet Equinox
For the 2022 model year, Equinox has added a 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine. While this may sound slightly small, it is normal for modern small SUVs and provides a lot of power for its size. In past years’ models, the power and torque were adequate for moving the SUV, and the engine that is included pairs well with the six-speed automatic transmission.
The ride for the Equinox is on the more comfortable and softer side of things. It isn’t as athletic as the CX-5 from Mazda or as much of an adventure seeker as the Subaru Forester or Jeep Cherokee; however, it’s great for daily driving.
With the 2022 update, Chevrolet has addressed a past complaint that Equinox had – you can use a press button with the idle start/stop system.
Is the 2022 Chevrolet Equinox the Right Vehicle for You?
There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to purchasing an SUV. While this is true, Equinox has a lot to offer. It’s a quality, powerful vehicle and offers quite a few features for the price.